Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mao and Me by Chen Jiang Hong

6 Stars

Mao and Me
is a very short but intriguing read. Less than a hundred pages and illustrated in a way reminiscent of ancient Chinese art, it doesn't take more than an afternoon to read. It offers a small autobiographical glimpse into a boy growing up during Mao's declared cultural revolution. Since I am young and foolish, I don't know anything about China's recent history. This story offers a story both happy and sad. One gets to hear a story about a boy who grew up living simply but happily with his family. One also hears about book burnings, forced public disgraces, and a harsh government that forces people to live a certain way.

I'm sure that those who know about China's history will learn very little new information. I'm also sure that those like me, with little knowledge on this subject, will not gain a full picture of what happened. However, Mao and Me does provide a little look into a very foreign world. It was enough to pique my curiosity to look further, and it could do the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment