Monday, August 23, 2010

Golem Written and illustrated by David Wisniewski

8 Stars

Golem is a picture book about the legend of the golem of Prague. For those who don't know the story, here is a quick summary. The Jews of Prague are being slandered and mistreated by the rest of the city. In desperation, the chief rabbi summons a man made of clay to protect the Jews. The golem protects the Jews, but grows in size and starts to gain a will of its own. When at last the emperor agrees to protect the Jews, the chief rabbi destroys the golem.

Golem is beautifully illustrated and well written. One can clearly see and hear the emotions of all involved in this wonderful retelling. I have read Golem before, and it remains one of my favorite picture books. I would recommend it to any who likes mythology, especially children.


2 comments:

  1. I'll have to check this out for Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, have you or Ellie ever read The Bearskinner? It's a Brothers Grimm tale that is a favorite of mine. I bet that Ellie would like that one too. If you want, I can grab it from library next time I'm there.

    ReplyDelete