Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Towers of Brierly by Anita Stansfield

4 stars


Summary: Haunted by secrets and questions about his birth, Gavin leaves Brierley, returning years later to confront the past. To Anya Ross, Brierley is likely the fairy-tale castle of her dreams. But when her great-uncle is murdered, and the remnants of the MacBrier family torment her every turn, her dream turns into a nightmare. Anya and Gavin are drawn together by the bond of a mottled past they share. But this bond becomes a wedge that threatens to drive them apart as sinister forces confront them at every turn. Only Gavin holds the key to undoing a evil he doesn't even understand--the key that can free Anya and himself from the chains of fear and hatred (taken from the back cover)

Review: Love, death, romance, murder, love, romance, and more romance. If you haven't noticed, this was a romance novel. A woman in a book club Manda and I attend chose this book for the month of August. I enjoyed it well enough but not enough to give it anything higher than a 4 star rating. As my first romance novel, I don't think it was too over the top but it was very predictable. I didn't think that the characters were quite believable enough as they were a bit one sided. There were times when I was so frustrated because of the sappy-ness or the silliness of Anya and Gavin. That being said, it was an uplifting story that focuses on personal triumph and the ability to make due with what we have. It also made me crave bannocks and short bread.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry, but I figured I'd start things out. I hope I didn't steal anyone's thunder.... :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to get us goin', child! Yeah, I pretty much second everything Amy said. I might give it five stars, because I was mostly indifferent, rather than disliking it outright. (What's that you say about "faint praise"?) But since it was actually the second romance I've read, and as it was sadly far better than the first, I'm afraid it's a whole genre I won't be visiting again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm...if by romance novels you mean lots of sappiness (as mentioned above) I do believe you have both read and enjoyed some already. I will not comment on the twilight series as this is neither the time nor the place...

    ReplyDelete