Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Book of Arthur: Lost Tales from the Round Table by: John Matthews

8 stars

I should first apologize for not posting in a while. I have four or five books that I need to review, but lately I have had no interest in blogging. Fear not, I am now repenting of my sin and will hopefully get the reviews up in the next couple of days.

This book is a collection of original tales about King Arthur and the Round Table that have fallen by the wayside. There are 28 stories total. They are translated into modern prose, and are easy to understand. They certainly aren't for children, but any adult who likes Arthurian legend will love this book.

I love stories about King Arthur and Camelot, and these were no exception. I had only heard of a few of the stories in this book, so almost all of it was new to me. I absolutely loved a few of them, and didn't really dislike any. I will say that some of the stories were a bit strange, and it was obvious that a medieval audience would understand them better than I do. Some of the stories have humorous medieval morals. For instance, in one story the hero of the story concludes that all women are evil, and therefore no righteous knight would ever trust them. Things like this made me laugh a little.

At any rate, I can recommend this to anyone with the same taste as I. The Orem Public Library has a copy of it for anyone who is interested

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like one for me! Thanks, Anthony. :)

    Incidentally, have you read any of Gerald Morris' books? He's an Arthurian scholar who took a bunch of the legends and expanded them--but for children. I think you'd get a big kick out of the first few in the series, especially (The Squire's Tale; The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady; and The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf).

    ReplyDelete