Monday, January 31, 2011

Turle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm


6 Stars

"Eleven-year-old Turtle is not one to suffer fools gladly. And she runs into a lot of fools, especially the no-goods her starry-eyed mother meets. So it's a tough little Turtle who arrives in Key West in June of 1935. She's been sent to Florida to stay with relatives because her mother's latest housekeeping job doesn't allow children. Unfortunately, Mama has neglected to tell Aunt Minnie she's coming, and Turtle gets the stink eye from cousins with monikers like Buddy and Beans. As Turtle soon learns, everything is different in Key West, from the fruit hanging on trees to the scorpions in nightgowns to the ways kids earn money. She can't be part of her cousins' Diaper Gang (no girls allowed), which takes care of fussy babies, but when she finds a treasure map, she hopes she'll be on Easy Street like Little Orphan Annie." (Taken from Amazon.com)

I'm not sure if this was Newberry material but I loved this book. It was a quick and humorous read but what I most liked about it was the setting. It is set in Key West and now I'm craving a trip to Florida. I loved the quirky characters and the cultural touches such as sponge fishing and "cut-ups." My mom lived in the Bahamas for a while when she was a little girl, and while she was not there during 1931, it still reminded me of what it must have felt like to be there. I love all the little quirks about the people and the town, such as the nicknames they were given, the freedom that kids had to wander about, the food they ate, and the way their lives depending on the marine life around them. I very much enjoyed this book though I'm not sure the issues and challenges the characters faced were quite Newberry material. I guess that is why it was an honor book and not a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment