Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Austenland by Shannon Hale


7 Stars

"When her great-aunt bequeaths her a trip to a role-playing resort called Austenland, Jane must discover whether playing dress-up in Regency clothes can cure her of her [Mr. Darcy] obsession and help her find real love, once and for all." (Synopsis taken from the Superfast Reader.)

This was a GREAT book for anyone who loves chick lit. It's clean, it's funny, the heroine is quirky and likable, and it's a quick, fun read. There are a couple of "awkward" moments that some might not enjoy (*ahem, Ashley* ;D ), but it was still pretty recommend-able. The best part about it, to me, is that Hale actually manages to keep you on your toes about how it's all going to end. Ultimate moral of the story: Hale writes better youth-oriented books, BUT I'll continue seeking her out.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this one, too. I agree that she does youth lit better...but I really enjoyed the humor of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just don't listen to the audio version. I really hated the reader and ended up not enjoying my first Shannon Hale! I'll have to read it with my eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you should, Aunt Linda! I think it's a book you'd really enjoy--lame that anyone could ruin its potential for you. >:(

    ReplyDelete