Monday, February 14, 2011

The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale


6 Stars (-1 for VERY mild language, and suggestive material)

"Mormon housewife Becky Jack is seven months pregnant with her fourth child when she meets celebrity heartthrob Felix Callahan. A few hours, one elevator ride, and one alcohol-free dinner later something has happened, though nothing has happened...It isn't sexual. It isn't even quite love. But soon Felix shows up in Salt Lake City to visit and before they know what's hit them, Felix and Becky are best friends... Becky's loving and devoted husband, Mike, is mostly unconcerned. Her children roll their eyes. Her large extended family and neighbors gossip endlessly. But Felix and Becky have something special, something unusual, something that seems...completely impossible to sustain." (Taken from the inside cover.)

This was one of the strangest books I've ever read because it's interesting, it talks about some things that are deeply important, it made me laugh out loud, and it made me cry at the tender moments--and I still could not tell you if I really ENJOYED it. Madeleine L'Engle indicated (in "A Circle of Quiet") that art should teach us some things about ourselves and our world and help us to better understand. If that is the true test, then I could say that reading this book WAS beneficial. On the other hand, there were several places where the writing was less than stellar (not up to Hale's usual par), and also lots of moments that were downright uncomfortable to read. Her characters feel very real (perhaps that explains some of the situational discomfort), and I can relate to a lot of their experiences and apparent emotional reactions to those experiences. But it's still not a book I'd recommend to just anyone.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't seen anything about this...but I've usually liked Hale's stuff before, so I may give it a read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I think you'd probably have a similar experience to mine--mostly positive? You'd definitely get a laugh out of parts of it. Some of the dialogue is like reading "Gilmore Girls" in that everyone speaks FAR more rapidly than is realistic for real life, and people seem much more clever. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book on audio so much that I bought a hard copy too. I've recommended it to many!

    ReplyDelete