Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Moon Over Manifest by Claire Vanderpool

7 Stars

"After a life of riding the rails with her father, 12-year-old Abilene can’t understand why he has sent her away to stay with Pastor Shady Howard in Manifest, Missouri, a town he left years earlier; but over the summer she pieces together his story. In 1936, Manifest is a town worn down by sadness, drought, and the Depression, but it is more welcoming to newcomers than it was in 1918, when it was a conglomeration of coal-mining immigrants who were kept apart by habit, company practice, and prejudice." (Taken from Amazon.com)

Continuing on my quest to read all the Newberry nominees for this year, I finally obtained a copy of the winner. I was planning to save it for last, but when you are waiting for books at the library, you take it them when they come your way. At first I wasn't sure why this book and not the previous two that I read was the winner. I found the story not very engaging towards the beginning but it quickly picked up. It was not a fast read in that I felt compelled to read it every second, but by the end of the book it had me thinking about the issues addressed. I also loved the way that the author wove the past and present together so beautifully. In all, it was a very beautifully written book and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is interested.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. I always read the Newbery winner, but all the nominees??? Never occurred to me, although it should have. I may have a new goal...

    ReplyDelete