Friday, October 15, 2010

The Classics Reclassified by Richard Armour


7 stars

The Classics Reclassified is for those who hate classics. It is also for those who love classics. The Iliad, Julius Caesar, Ivanhoe, The Scarlet Letter, Moby Dick, Silas Marner, and David Copperfield all receive a humorous summary. Richard Armour's sharp wit spears the plot holes, the characters that don't make sense, the things that ought to have been left out, the excessive details, and everything else that your English teacher was too proud to point out.

Those of you who love the classics will enjoy a hearty chuckle. Those of you who hate the classics can laugh at their expense. Either way, laughter will ensue.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds a really awesome book! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I'm excited! Can't wait to laugh at this one! Good recommendation, Anthony! But, I'm curious, why the 7?

    ReplyDelete
  3. While it was a good book, well written and enjoyable, it didn't have that special extra oomph that 8-and-up books have. I wouldn't call it a favorite, but it was a fine read nonetheless. I happen to own it (go D.I. go!) so anyone who wants to borrow it can just ask.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right on. I think the distinction between 7 and 8 is almost as hard as the distinction between 2 and 3 for me. But, that is aptly put. And I think I would like to borrow it, actually, if that's okay. :D (Bought any OTHER new friends lately?)

    ReplyDelete