Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Dark Lady's Chosen by: Gail Z Martin


Series rating: 6 stars

Dark Lady's Chosen is the fourth book of the Chronicles of the Necromancer series. In thought I would review the series, since I haven't reviewed any of the other books on this blog. The first three books are The Summoner, The Blood King, and Dark Haven. The Summoner and The Blood King were excellent fantasy books. I wouldn't say that they were particularly unique in any way, or groundbreaking, but well written, fairly paced, and very entertaining. If the series rating was based solely on those two, I think that I would give the series a 7 or an 8.

Unfortunately, the third book, Dark Haven, was a 500+ page book with probably about 100 pages of plot development. It was a long book with very little to show for it. Dark Haven was also too wordy, though not nearly to the same degree. In my opinion, Dark Haven and Dark Lady's Chosen should have been one book. I feel like there was only one book worth of content between the two of them.

Despite the excessive wordiness of the last two books, they were still enjoyable. I think I would recommend the series to fantasy lovers. Those uninterested in fantasy novels should probably give these a skip.

As end note, I would just like to say that Gail Martin's middle initial "Z" is a bit silly. I don't know what she or her publishers were thinking.

1 comment:

  1. But "Z" is such a fascinating letter! Isn't that why you read these books in the first place? It sort of makes me want to, all wordiness aside. I just feel so compelled by the "Z"... Or maybe not, and you're right. What a silly initial to add.

    ReplyDelete