Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A few children's reads...

So, for a slight change of pace, I decided I wanted to add a brief list of a few favorite picture books. I like some more than others, but I'd say they all fall within the 8-10 Stars range. They are all different styles and genres and are only really related insofar as they are some favorites of mine, sorry.


The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds:

I have loved Peter H. Reynolds' loose-style illustrations ever since I've known of him, but this book especially holds a place in my heart. It's a book every artist really ought to own. Sarah, this means you. If you don't have it already, you need to. ;D (And, I have to add that the first time I read this book, it was a Spanish translation called, "El Punto", which actually I may have liked even more, since that title added some interesting double meaning to the whole...)


Ms. Rubinstein's Beauty by Pep Montserrat:

This has been a favorite ever since discovering it a couple of years ago. It is the only work so far by this author illustrator, but it's a great one. For a far more poetic (albeit a bit of a plot spoiling--read it AFTER you read the book, I'm telling you!!!) review than I can give, please visit:
http://fusenumber8.blogspot.com/2007/02/review-of-day-ms-rubinsteins-beauty.html


City Dog, Country Frog by Mo Willems:

The gorgeous pictures by Jon J Muth are what attracted me to this book to begin with, but it is as beautifully written as illustrated. Poignant, silly, sweet, sad, and wonderful all rolled into one. And, did I mention the gorgeous pictures?







Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss:

So, perhaps it is a tad cliché to include Dr. Seuss, but really, the guy was a genius. This is one that I don't remember reading as a child, but just might rank as my favorite of his books. It doesn't have the same depth of meaning as some of his others, but the alliterations and rhyming patterns are FAN. TAS. TIC. Not than anyone expected anything else.







Snow White illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman:

I mention the illustrator, not the author, because, truthfully I have never loved the tale of Snow White. It's really, very dark. This retelling is no exception as it sticks pretty close to the Grimm version. BUT. If you have never loved Snow White, either, this book might just change your mind. And all because of a person known as Trina Schart Hyman. Who I adore. I have never been disappointed in a book she's illustrated, because even if the book were completely terrible, her illustrations would make it all worth while. No, seriously. Check it out, and you will see exactly what I mean.


The Sleeping Beauty by Mercer Mayer:

I know, I know, another fairy tale with beautiful pictures. But, this one, I choose not just for the amazing illustrations, but because this is my very favorite re-telling of the tale of the Sleeping Beauty. Ever. And I've read a LOT of re-tellings. Mercer Mayer manages to add all sorts of interesting twists to the timeless tale while managing to be true to the story. It is a real classic. And, just so that you know, if you have a hard time finding it, that's because it's now out of print. And people like to steal the library's copies and take the hit in fines just to have a copy. Unfortunately for the rest of us, it really is that good.


The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein:

This book makes me cry. It has some of Silverstein's typically funny poetry, but it is much deeper than many of his other, sillier reads. Plus, it's about a tree, and we all know what a tree-hugger I am. But, then, since my dad had this book around for as long as I can remember, maybe this book is WHY I'm a tree-hugger.









The Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base:

Those of you who have never read any of Graeme Base's books need to move it to the top of your to-do list. Especially if you love bright colors. Or puzzles. Or clever rhymes. Or intricate illustrations. Or well-thought out children's books. ... Yeah. Enough said.

1 comment:

  1. OK, so Dr Seuss is NEVER a cliché. The man is one of the most brilliant authors to have ever graced a page. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant and I'll have Anthony smack anyone who says otherwise (thanks for that, Anthony).

    Second comment, I brought City Dog, Country Frog home from the library because I flipped through the first few pages and found what has now become one of my favorite lines in children's literature. You'll just have to read it to find out.

    ReplyDelete