Sunday, December 12, 2010

Funny In Farsi by: Firoozeh Dumas

7 stars

Funny In Farsi is a memoir of an Iranian girl growing up in America. Firoozeh Dumas first came to the U.S. from Iran in the early '70s when her father was sent to California on a two-year contract from the National Iranian Oil Company. Her family soon discovered that his presumed skill in English was basically limited to "vectors, surface tension and fluid mechanics." In short, humorous vignettes, the author recounts their resulting difficulties and Americans' almost total ignorance of Iran, illustrating the kindness of people and her father's absolute love of this country. - From Amazon.com

I must say that I enjoyed this book. I was led in a playful way through some of the culture of Iran, laughing as I went. Firoozeh amusingly describes the hilarity that ensues when as two very different cultures clash. The easy pace and friendly tone made it a quick and easy read, and one I would recommend to those looking for a little humor or a peek into Iranian culture. My only possible complaint was that in seemed a little rushed at times. I would have liked to have read a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment