Monday, September 20, 2010

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells

6 stars

The Island of Dr. Moreau is stereotypical Wells. For those who haven't read any H.G. Wells, he is famous for science fiction novels such as The Time Machine, War of the Worlds, and The Invisible Man. All of Wells' novels that I've read have had a similar theme- the degeneration of man due to science. The Island of Dr. Moreau is no exception- the main character is trapped on an island with the amoral scientist Dr. Moreau, who creates human-like beings out of animals.

The Island of Dr. Moreau is probably the grossest Wells novel that I've read, and therefore I wouldn't really recommend it to someone who wanted to read a science fiction book. However, if you like the amoral mad scientist theme, or you like H.G. Wells, go for it.

3 comments:

  1. I read a book in elementary school that was based on The Island of Dr. Moreau. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but I remember that it was highly disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review, Anthony. Now I know for certain that I will never be reading this book. At some point in my life, I might have felt compelled to do so because it's sort of a classic. But now I know that since I'm thankfully free of a mad scientist fetish, I'm probably better off sticking to Wells' (slightly) less disturbing stuff. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem. I'm always happy to take a bullet for others, as long as the bullet is booked shaped.

    ReplyDelete